Tuesday 19 October 2010

Juno

If I was a flower growing wild and free, all I want is you to be my sweet honey bee.
And if I was a tree growing tall and green, all I want is you to shade me and be my leaves.

And with these lyrics, the intro sequence of Juno begins.
Having become pregnant by Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera), Juno MacGuff (Eellen Page) decides she is not ready to be a Mum and finds a family wanting to adopt. Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) and her husband Mark (Jason Bateman) seem a mismatched couple and eventually Mark splits (I guess he still has some growing up to do) and so Vanessa adopts the baby by herself.

I guess that's the plot, but it doesn't do justice to how sweet and quirky the film is.  Cera is dorky, Page is dorky and nuts, Jennifer Garner is, well Jennifer Garner, and JK Simmons is great as Juno's dad (almost as good as his role as the editor of the Daily Bugle in Spiderman: Next time I see that Bleeker kid I'm going to punch him in the wiener!), and the soundtrack is great too.


It's cool that just seeing the stills from the intro I can hear the music:




Barry Louis Polisar – All I Want Is You


But don't take my word for it, go see it!



No comments:

Post a Comment