Friday 30 September 2011

Drive (2011)



Drive follows the story of a nameless Driver (Ryan Gosling), a Hollywood stuntman who, in his spare time, hires himself out as a getaway car driver. He has very strict rules: for 5 minutes he is at the disposal of the criminals, no matter what occurs; 1 minute either way and the crooks are on their own. He doesn’t carry a gun, he just drives. This serves him well, despite looking bit bored with life. However, his life is altered in a way he couldn't predict when he meets his next door neighbour Irene (Carey Mulligan) and her husband Standard (Oscar Issac) who has just been released from prison.

Despite the film being called Drive, there wasn’t too much driving (fine by me, I’m not a petrol head by any means) and it certainly doesn’t glamourise cars. When Ryan is driving, the film is kept fresh and dynamic by sharp editing and clever uses of the camera by director Nicolas Winding Refn. The film is very stylish (not the cars particularly, except for the Mustang), but just in the slick way it is filmed. Ironically I didn’t think that Ryan’s character was that stylish; he constantly wears a jacket with gold embroidered scorpion on the back and has a toothpick permanently poking out of the side of his mouth.


The focus of the first half of the film is the growing relationship between Ryan and Carey, and they are both brilliant. Ryan is always very cool and calm, and having come across as being fairly disinterested and bored with life, he starts to come to life as he gets to know Irene. Carey Mulligan is very good once again, she is very cute and bashful, not knowing how to play the relationship with the Driver, knowing that her husband is getting out of jail.


Having slowly built up the relationship in the first half of the film, there are some tremendously shocking moments in the second half; again the Driver showing how cool and calm (and lethal) he is under pressure. The film really accentuates the shocking moments by turning down all the sound prior to the scene that will make you jump out of your seat. The mob element was nicely done, Ron Perlman was fairly scary and Albert Brooks was very scary. Oscar Isaac played Standard in a very clever way, I really didn't know how he was going to react to the Driver's relationship with his wife. He showed that it wasn't a fluke that he was the best actor in Sucker Punch.

A great movie that was very well made, with the right balance of character development and hard hitting action. This film really goes to show how a simple concept, well written characters, and good film making can make a stand out film. Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan are both fantastic, though I think I would have appreciated a little more time spent with Mulligan’s character because she’s a great actress. I didn’t expect to be quite so shocked, but there were moments when I had my hand to my mouth in surprise. Definitely one of the most original and well-crafted films this year.

8 comments:

  1. This is a film that has left me completely numb. I saw it 2 weeks ago and still now if I put the OST on my ipod I get goosebumps.

    My best film of the year so far, bar none!

    Nice write up my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Scott. I thought it was one of those films that really lived up to the hype. Is the OST good? I mean, it worked perfectly in the film; I just wondered if it was not so good when listened to in isolation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melody: I'm glad that you liked the film (and my review!); it certainly was one of the best films of the year. Certainly the best made film (discounting Jurassic Park which I saw last week) this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was very good as well. Ryan Gosling is proving to be a very versatile actor.

    There were some very cool elements. Having just seen Bullitt and Death Proof recently, some scenes reminded me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire: Definitely Bullitt, the car chase with the Mustang being an obvious homage. I haven't seen Death Proof though, so I don't know; maybe that should be a Love Film addition. This was the first time I've seen Gosling in anything, but I'm looking forward to seeing him in The Ides of March.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked the movie. I went to see it a second time a week ago and loved it even more. The mood, the atmosphere in Drive is just so engrossing. Carey Mulligan is a great actress but I think she projects a little bit too much class to be fully convincing as a criminal's wife.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Castor: I maybe agree about Mulligan's character, it did seem slightly unlikely that a girl like that would be a criminal's wife. You're absolutely right, the atmosphere was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched Planet Terror, Death Proof and Machete a couple of months ago. Check out my review here http://wp.me/pErjN-Sy - they do contain a couple of spoilers!

    Death Proof was quite good, bit too random for me, though. Kurt Russell was great as a character called Stuntman Mike, however.

    ReplyDelete