Monday 26 September 2011

The Lovely Bones (2009)



So, I wasn't really paying attention when this was on telly (I think I was booking holiday stuff), therefore my observations may not be entirely accurate. Consequently this review is just of my general impressions.

I think I'm right in saying that the film is based on a book; and I could see how the idea of a murdered girl discovering the afterlife and helping her family find her killer could work in a  novel. But adapting this idea for a film was a very ambitious project, and I'm not quite sure that Peter Jackson et al really pulled it off. Like I say, I wasn't entirely paying attention, but it felt a little disjointed, and the afterlife sequences were particularly confusing (rather like the beach scenes towards the end of Tree of Life).

The cast however were mostly excellent. Saoirse Ronan gives another incredibly mature performance, she really has played some very demanding roles, and hasn't really failed at all as far as I'm concerned. Mark Wahlberg was alright, that is he wasn't really annoying. Rachel Weisz was good (as far as I remember) and gave a very emotional performance. Stanley Tucci was the best by far. He was superbly creepy throughout the whole film, being secretive and smarmy, yet with the potential to snap at any moment.

I have a feeling that this film came in for a lot of criticism when it was released, maybe some of it was deserved; though I suspect it might be because it was quite a confused interpretation of what I suppose was quite a challenging source. Some of the special effects were definitely spectacular, I just wonder whether the film was too reliant on them. I think if the two main lead characters hadn't been so good, then my overall impression might not have been so good.

8 comments:

  1. well, IMO it was a huge disappointment, mainly because of a horrible script, many pointless scenes and some poor CGI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maynard: I guess I didn't notice the horrible script and pointless scenes because I wasn't really paying attention. Though I agree about the CG, a lot of it looked more like a computer game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually enjoyed this one. Solid book-to-movie adaptation. But Tucci really stole the show. Dude's creepy as all hell. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. M, Hufstader: I haven't read the book, so I couldn't really comment on the adaptation. Is it worth a read? I did think Tucci was great though. I read on IMDB that he wore a lentil-filled fat suit to add girth! That's not random at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh, if you saw the movie you more or less got the book. It's a pretty quick read. And lentil-filled fat suit! That's brilliant! And sounds strangely comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently added this to my LOVEFiLM rental list because I'm planning on watching all of Jackson's films. I know the basic outline of the film, though I haven't read the book. Will have to see what I make of it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melody: I agree that Saoirse is amazing, she was great in Hanna as well, and as the young Bryony in Atonement. A very talented young actress.

    Claire: I'd be interested to hear what you think of Lovely Bones; I should probably give it my full attention sometime. I hope that you enjoy all of PJs films; have you ever seen Bad Taste or Braindead before? Ludicrous, but fun; just don't try and eat breakfast while watching Braindead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, never seen Bad Taste or Braindead. I've read the synopsis and seen a few pics so kinda know what I'm in for!

    I've added a bunch of John Carpenter films to my rental list as well. Want to work my way through directors.

    ReplyDelete