Monday 7 May 2012

Labyrinth (1986)


I wish the Goblins would come and take you away! Right now!

Our local Picture House cinema The Belmont, is currently showing several classic 80s films. Back to the Future and American Werewolf in London have been and gone, and the next in line was Labyrinth. I know a lot of people talk about The Princess Bride as being a childhood adventure favourite, but I didn't see it until I was in my 20s so didn't really get the appeal; for me Labyrinth is the iconic childhood adventure (as well as The Goonies naturally).

Despite being 26 years old Labyrinth is still great fun. Bowie is hilariously camp, Jennifer Connelly is pretty good as Sarah, and of course all the creatures are nicely brought to life by Jim Henson studios. In fact it is the puppets that save the film from looking too dated. Because there is precious little blue screen (the little that there is doesn't look good), and all the puppets are right there with Jennifer, it still looks pretty great. The story is very straightforward, but since the focus is getting lost in the labyrinth and meeting fantastic creatures the film really scores. I had never realised before that George Lucas was the executive producer, so that explains why it is all so fantastic and outrageous fun; the highlight of which is the Bog of Eternal Stench!

A truly daft film that has no right to be as entertaining as it still is. Lots of detail and great little touches (e.g. 2 bottles of milk outside the door to the Goblin Palace!). And let's be honest, The Princess Bride doesn't have David Bowie in tights does it!

                                                                   Truly terrifying!

6 comments:

  1. But The Princess Bride does have Cary Elwes in tights! Hehe.

    I love the film. I remember the first time I saw it so vividly. (I was eating birthday cake at a friend's swimming party. Remember when kids used to have those!) I loved the puppets and the songs! I'll be humming along for the rest of the day.

    funnily enough, I only saw The Princess Bride in my early twenties, or possibly late teens, but fell head over heels for it. I'm not sure it would have captured the imagination of the younger me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten you said that Cary Elwes was in Princess Bride! I just didn't find it that interesting when a friend suggested I watch it. Maybe I should give it another go.

      Delete
  2. Yea, I have to agree that you're short-selling Princess Bride. Maybe it's just not your thing, though.

    Labyrinth is awesome. Pretty much every character is really memorable, and the songs are great. That Bowie outfit also, uh, stood out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sir Phobos; clearly I must set aside some time to watch Princess Bride again, I'm beginning to think my comment was too ill-informed. There was an excellent snigger throughout the cinema as Bowie appeared in that outfit.

      Delete
  3. "A truly daft film that has no right to be as entertaining as it still is."

    Hahaha! Truly, the only way to describe this movie. I love it, but I usually have to be baked to watch it. It's incredibly ridiculous, but always fun. I mean, c'mon. David fucking Bowie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who'd have thought that David Bowie could wear that outfit, and then be really cool as Tesla in The Prestige!

      Delete