Sunday 10 June 2012

The Sunday Scene: Moon


Having watched Moon a couple of times this week in preparation for starting up a Google+ live hangout, I thought that it would be appropriate to subject the film to the Sunday Scene treatment. I think the hangout went well, apart from a couple of technical hitches, and hopefully I might be able to include some more people next time. Anyway, on with the scene, which will contain spoilers, so if you haven't seen Moon, go and see it first!

My favourite scene is quite a short one, but the moment half-way through the film where Sam fights with his clone is very pivotal to the film. It marks the point where "New" Sam starts to work together with "Old" Sam; instead of largely ignoring him "New" Sam is now more interested in finding out the truth. As a result of the fight "Old" Sam is easily injured, and it is from this point that he really starts to fall apart as we begin to understand that the 3 year contract is simply the life span of a clone.

Of course the other feature that makes this my favourite scene is the fact that the viewer never doubts that Sam Rockwell is fighting himself! Through some very clever shooting and editing, using doubles and a bit of CG face replacement, the whole fight, though short, is utterly convincing. Of course part of the trick is the actor's ability to sell it, and Sam Rockwell's performance, as it is throughout the film, is fantastic. Like I say, quite a short scene, but perfectly executed and a pivotal moment in the film.

3 comments:

  1. you know. I prefer the scene with crying Gerty - nevertheless, the fight scene is definitely an impressive highlight, wonderfully acted and cleverly edited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the opening of the film. It just sets the tone and looks absolutely stunning.

    Sam Rockwell fighting himself is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's kind hard to pick a favourite scene as all of the film is so cool. I agree with you Maynard that all of GERTY's emotions are cool, and I agree with you Jaina that the opening is stunning (You really need to see 2001 by the way!). I thought that this scene was particularly pivotal which is why I went with it.

    ReplyDelete