Saturday 27 July 2013

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)



I thought I remembered X-men Origins: Wolverine being far worse than it really is.  For example, I'd forgotten that Stryker (Danny Huston) puts together a team of mutants at the beginning of the film.  I'd forgotten that the intro credits are really cool showing the passage of time as the two brothers (Jackman and Schreiber) grow up and demonstrates their indestructibility.  I'd forgotten that Ryan Reynolds was in it and his sword wielding character is pretty cool.  I hadn't realised that Game of Thrones screenwriter David Benioff wrote the screenplay for it.  All I really remember are the badly rendered claws, the farcical action (including the most ridiculous casual walk away from a huge explosion), and a really shoehorned in ending so that it ties in with the first X-men film.  And that’s the problem with it; they’re the bits that everyone remembers.


So, like I say, not all that bad, Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber and Danny Huston are all accomplished enough actors to prop the movie up, and the story is interesting enough; it just gets woefully let down by the ill judged central act.  But, well, you know, that’s just, like, er, my opinion, man.

2 comments:

  1. It has been said that the Origins films aren't in the same 'universe' as the main XMen movies. And rightfully so, what they did to Ryan Reynold's character of Deadpool is an afront to the merc, which is a shame, because RR made a great Deadpool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with the comic books or any real back-story to the X-Men so I couldn't really comment. I didn't know RR's character was called Deadpool, he was just referred to as Wade. RR did seem just right for it though.

      Delete