Saturday 3 August 2013

Gainsbourg (2010)


Gainsbourg tells the story of Serge Gainsbourg (born Lucien) and how he became a famous musician and sex symbol (apparently).  The thing is, I didn't care.  When I've watched other films concerning characters that I’ve known little if anything about, I've immediately wanted to know more about them; eg Walk the Line, Mesrine or A Royal Affair.  However with Gainsbourg I would not like to know more, in response to the Starship Troopers question.  I actually thought the young Lucien had a far more interesting story, and could had watched a film all about him, (the kid was a more dynamic actor too).

The structure of the film is all a jumble.  Suddenly he was married?  Who to?  Then later he's married to someone else - oh they're his kids are they?  Then suddenly he's in Jamaica?  Now I'm all for non linear plots, but this just felt very messy and confusing.  Because of these seemingly random events the film is boring and lethargic at best.  And I really didn't know what the Frank Sidebottom character was all about.  But, well, you know, that’s just, like, er, my opinion, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment