Sunday 20 September 2015

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)


So, I haven’t seen movies 2 and 3 of the franchise, but I figured I probably wasn’t missing huge plot points given the nature of the films. I could always say that I just want to see all the Paul W. S. Anderson iterations.

Afterlife starts off with lots of Paul Anderson’s visual flair, which I happen to quite like (Three Musketeers notwithstanding). It’s all quite silly, but looks quite cool. The problem is this only lasts for about five minutes, the film soon degenerates into a derivative action zombie thriller with some fancy tech.

Milla Jovovich is fine, but feels like she is just going through the motions; Ali Larter is also fine but she’s not even Final Destination standard, never mind Heroes. Wentworth Miller (known for Prison Break, apparently) is bored/boring/underused (delete as appropriate). Everyone else is fairly irrelevant (a microcosm of the movie?) apart from Shawn Roberts’ bad guy, who is the worst villain since Stephen Dorff in Blade.

Lazy story, silly boring action, and a cast that doesn’t really seem to care. There really isn’t much more to say. But, you know, that's just, like, my opinion man.

No comments:

Post a Comment